The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah seeks to hire a full-time Community Outreach Fellow to build community connections and empower individuals to advance civil liberties and individual freedoms statewide. This position is funded for one year.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Community Outreach Fellow
The Community Outreach Fellow will report to the Executive Director and work in close collaboration with multiple staff members to advance civil liberties and ACLU priorities in Utah. A significant portion of the Community Outreach Fellow’s time will be spent collaborating with and learning from impacted community members, community-based organizations, and advocacy groups. The Fellow will utilize the knowledge learned and experiences gained to plan future advocacy and outreach efforts. The Community Outreach Fellow will be expected to work some evenings and weekends, and travel across Utah.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
The ACLU of Utah is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, immigrants, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Position Overview and Functions:
The Fellow will be responsible for establishing and deepening relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations representative of local Utah communities.
The Fellow will develop and implement a plan to:
- boost the ACLU of Utah’s interactions and familiarity with diverse communities, ACLU members and supporters, volunteers, allies, and the broader public;
- collect community input to shape our policy and litigation efforts;
- build and nurture an active base of community advocates and volunteers throughout the state who can be mobilized to support our agenda.
Successful outcomes for this position would include: increased number of ACLU members statewide, more frequent engagement with members and supporters, regular interactions with individuals and communities outside of the Wasatch Front, and refining our system to communicate with and mobilize volunteers and supporters.
Specifically, the Fellow will:
- Help build and participate in coalitions by fostering and strengthening alliances with priority partner organizations and community groups;
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU of Utah staff to execute large and effective community actions (community forums, rallies, trainings, etc.);
- Organize ACLU of Utah outreach and educational activities at public events;
- Speak publicly on behalf of the ACLU of Utah and assist in coordinating speaking opportunities for other ACLU of Utah staff;
- Help train, coordinate, and manage our volunteer base;
- Prepare reports on engagement, outreach, and outcomes;
- Attend national ACLU training and staff conferences as required;
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Proven experience in community organizing or social justice advocacy;
- Experience working in/with diverse coalitions;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and build consensus with diverse staff, coalitions, and communities, and to work across the political spectrum;
- Ability to articulate complex issues and to communicate to a variety of audiences, must be a “quick study” on a dynamic array of issues;
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain orderly records;
- A commitment to diversity- a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socio-economic circumstance;
- Ability to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends;
- Valid driver’s license or driving privilege card - this position will involve extensive travel throughout Salt Lake City and the State of Utah.
Strongest candidates will also have:
- Understanding of Utah-specific civil liberties issues;
- Experience working in politics, especially with state legislative processes;
- Personal involvement in the criminal justice system;
- Proficiency in a language other than English.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is $35,000-40,000. Excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) plan with organizational match, life and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled
Founded in 1958, the ACLU of Utah is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that utilizes legal, legislative and public education approaches to fight for individual rights and fundamental freedoms including reproductive freedom, immigrant rights, free speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, LGBTQ rights, and more. Based in Salt Lake City with a staff of eleven, the ACLU of Utah has not only the opportunity, but also the responsibility to protect and advocate for the civil liberties and civil rights of everyone in Utah. For more information, please visit www.acluutah.org