Do you care about criminal legal reform? You have a Chance in June to Impact the Criminal Legal System when you Vote in the Primary Election for County Attorney because they are the Most Powerful Actors in the Criminal Legal System!
Join us for this townhall because it is YOUR chance to learn more about the power prosecutors hold over our communities and get ready for Primary Election Day!
Why this event matters:
Did you know?
- Prosecutors with "tough-on-crime" policies have played a significant role in leading the United States to have the highest incarceration rate globally.
- Those incarcerated are disproportionately Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color.
- When a person enters the criminal legal system, a prosecutor decides what charges to file, influences what bail amount to set and what plea deal to offer or what sentence to recommend.
- Most cases never make it to a trial because the majority end with plea deals. This means that prosecutors are often the most powerful person in the courtroom.
- Our top elected prosecutors, also known as your County Attorney, can decide to use that power to change the system and take steps toward ending mass incarceration.
- These issues exist in Utah, but as voters, we have the opportunity to make a difference!
In Utah County, the Republican primary will likely decide the next Utah County Attorney! This townhall is your chance to learn about one of your county's most powerful elected positions and be ready to cast an informed vote.
Click here for Parking and ADA access
6:00 – 6:20 PM: Snacks and soda, mingle with co-sponsors tabling
6:30 – 7:30 PM: Townhall/Panel Discussion
7:30 – 8:00 PM: Meet and greet, Q&A with panelists
Townhall Moderator is Scott Goodwin, Director of the Civil and Criminal Rights Appeals Clinic at BYU Law School