The ACLU of Utah is committed to combating unconstitutional jail and prison conditions and practices, and your complaint is important because it helps us identify problems in Utah’s correctional facilities.
Please note that the ACLU of Utah will review complaints only after inmates have completed all levels of the jail or prison grievance procedure.
If a jail or prison violate your rights as an inmate, it is important that you go through the jail or prison’s formal grievance procedure for two reasons. First, the process gives officials the opportunity to address your complaint. Second, under the 1996 Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA), inmates must try to resolve their complaints through the jail’s grievance procedure before filing a lawsuit in federal court. Additionally, under the PLRA, inmates must exhaust the grievance process, which means that if the jail or prison denies or does not respond to your initial complaint and the grievance procedure allows you to appeal this decision, then you must complete ALL appeals available.
If you are an inmate at a Utah state prison or county jail and have completed the grievance process at your facility, you may fill out the online forms to have the ACLU of Utah review your issue.
The following documents outline this grievance procedure, explain why it is important to file a formal grievance with the prison, and contain a form that inmates can fill out and return to the ACLU of Utah if they are not satisfied with the prison’s response (or lack of response) to their grievances.
- Information For County Jail Inmates And Grievance Procedures (PDF)
- Information For Utah Prison Inmates And Grievance Procedures (PDF)
We have created the following issue resources for inmates who have complaints against the Utah State Prison, the Central Utah Correctional Facility, and county jails.
- Inmate Mail And Access To Publications In Utah’s Jails And Prisons (PDF)
- Religious Freedom At Utah’s Jails And Prisons (PDF)
- Access To Law Libraries And The Courts At Utah’s Jails And Prisons (PDF)
- Excessive Force And Inmate Assault At Utah’s Jails Or Prisons (PDF)
- Discrimination At Utah’s Jails And Prisons (PDF)
- Conditions At Utah’s Jails Or Prisons (PDF)
- Medical, Dental, And Mental Health Care At Utah’s Prisons And Jails (PDF)